The Help By Kathryn Stockett Book Review

Hello!!! So about an hour ago I finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Let me just say it was pretty awesome! It's probably one of the best works of historical fiction I've read besides The Book Thief by Markus Zusack. So sorry I haven't posted in a while my summer reading project has made me really sluggish on reading. But now I can read for pleasure again. Now on with the review and summary.
  Summary: Aibileen Clark is a black maid in 1962 Jackson , Mississippi , raising her seventeenth white child. She's always taken orders quietly , but lately it leaves her with a bitterness she can no longer bite back. Her friend Minny Jackson  has certainly never held her tongue , or held on to a job for very long, but now she's working for a newcomer with secrets that leave her speechless. And white socialite Skeeter Phelan has just returned from college with ambition and degree but , to her mother's lament, no husband. Normally Skeeter would find solace in Constantine, the beloved maid who raised her, but Constantine has inexplicably disappeared. 
  Together , these seemingly different women join to work on a project that could forever alter their destinies and the life of a small town- to write , in secret, a tell-all book about what it's really like to work as a black maid in the white homes of the South. Despite the terrible risks they will have to take , and the sometimes humorous boundaries they will have to cross , these three women unite with one intention:hope for a better day.

Review: First off I did not know I would end up liking this book as much as I did. I always heard great things about it and hear people rave about it but I had no idea I would become one of those people. I absolutely fell in love Aibileen , Minny ,and Miss Skeeter. I really loved their characters. Just watching their friendship grow ,especially Aibileen and Miss Skeeter was a beautiful thing. 
  This book is must read. It's humorous and a sweet story. I enjoyed reading it. I laughed so many times reading this story. Especially any scene in the book involving Minny. There were a few characters I didn't like so much and I sure if you read the book you wouldn't like them either. Like Miss Elizabeth Leefolt and Hilly Holbrook. I despise Hilly but I'm not going to go into detail about how much I don't like her she's just really mean and almost everything has to be her way or the highway! 
  The plot of this story was phenomenal. It was such a joy reading this novel and growing with the characters. My favorite line in the story from the book is when Aibileen is talking the baby she looks after Mae Mobley and she tells her "You is kind. You is smart. You is important." I just love that line. I wish there was more to the story after the way it ended. But I don't see how the author could continue after the ending so I'm learning to accept that. I recommend this novel to anyone especially if you love historical fiction. I gave this 4.5 stars. Enjoy your day and I'll be back soon. -G

.



  

Comments

Popular Posts